Thursday, December 17, 2015

Radio Silence


As a small business owner I've always been extremely conscience of my social media output.  Keeping up with, in my case, the sewing community is a massive part of being a pattern designer.  It's also something I really enjoy but as you can imagine it takes up an insane amount of time.  Time that I don't have to give up.





One evening, while reading through a forum that caters to pattern designers, one designer said something that struck me.  She said "I've stopped searching out social media envy."

WHOA...

That's exactly what I've been doing.  I check in with all the people who inspire me, but I end up believing I don't do enough or I don't have a beautiful life, a beautiful setting, beautiful clothes, beautiful style.  I don't take beautiful pictures, I don't have beautiful food, or palm trees or BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say....that's the opposite of what I was hoping to find which was inspiration.  And it's not because the people who I heart aren't amazing.  It's because I have social media envy and it's taking over my life.

So, here's what I did.  I made a promise to myself that I would only check my social media outlets once a day.  I would rid myself of my 1 picture on Instagram a day rule, and switch it to "when you get a chance" rule.  I would stop the self loathing when I see the amazing talent and creation of others whose creativity I admire.

At this point, my lack of activity on social media has given me huge gains on the other side of the screen.  The amount of time I have for my family is freeing.  I no longer have this nagging feeling that I'm missing something hovering over me like a rainy cloud.

I've given myself 50% more time to work.  That means more output!  That means more designs!  That means less spelling mistakes - because if you ever saw a first draft of one of my tutorials you would think I hadn't made it past the 2nd grade.

So, with all that said, here I am posting on my social media outlet and letting you know that my radio silence has been a very productive time for me.  2016 should be a big year and for me it's already begun.

I hope all of you are excited about the holidays and equally as eager for all the time you will have after they're over so you can sew!

Anyways, I'd never get caught posting to the blog without some pictures.  Here are some things going on over here in my world.

xo Sarah








5 comments:

  1. I love the honesty of your post. I have often wondered how people manage to keep up with social media while still being able to create so much. There must be sacrifices somewhere along the way, right? Hurray that you now have more time to devote to your family and your business! Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I quit my beloved blog. It was such a hard decision, but I'm so much happier, it was the right decision for me and my family.
    Looking forward to your new patterns.
    Happy Holidays to you and your family.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say......those shoes 😍💛💚💛💚

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - it's like you took my thoughts right out of my mind! It's easy to let go of social media if you're just a regular person but blogger and business owners really do have to be involved...and it can be crippling! I think I'll steal your idea: once a day is plenty. Also, I LOVE your style and photography. So, you know, keep inspiring envy yourself ;) Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete